Why are these titled "smack"aroons? Because they are so stinking good you will want to "smack yo mama". These are so simple to make and are the perfect balance of moistness and sweet. If you haven't ever used vanilla bean seeds, you are in for a real treat...they add an amazing depth to the vanilla flavor (and will not include added sugar, which most vanilla extracts do).
Author Ralph Lazaro ∙ Prep 10 mins ∙ Cook 14-16 mins ∙ Serves 14 cookies
- 2 egg whites
- 3 Tbsp high grade local maple syrup
- 1 vanilla bean (will use seeds)
- 1 Tbsp grass fed butter (melted)
- 2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Cut the vanilla bean in half (lengthwise) and scrape out seeds, for use in batter
- In a large mixer, mix the egg whites, maple syrup, vanilla bean seeds and melted butter - you can whisk by hand if you prefer
- Fold in the shredded coconut until well mixed (should be a semi-wet batter like miture
- Pack a round measuring Tablespoon with batter (use your hands to flatten out on top). Drop onto lined baking sheet and repeat for the rest of the batter
- Bake for 14-16 mins, until outside edges start to slightly brown. Let cool and enjoy. Store in your refrigerator (best if eaten within the first day or two of making)
- Use only unfiltered high grade maple syrup (can find in bulk at most Wholefoods, at your local farmer's market or from a local farm/vendor)...that stuff in the plastic bottle on your standard grocery store shelf isn't natural and has added sugars or is processed
- Use unsweetend shredded coconut - can be found at most natural grocery stores. The standard/big brand stuff on most major grocery store shelves is sweetened with sugar.